Monday, December 14, 2009

Amazing Quotes from people I don't know.

I like to listen to other people's conversations.

When I was in college I would sit outside this one building on campus...The Humanities building...and I would listen to other people talking about whatever. Their recent break up, their "most embarrassing Saturday night eva," their mean teachers that give out unfair grades, their dramatic interpretations of their boyfriend's inconsistency... and I would write it all down. I'd look like I was innocently doing a paper or homework but really I was writing it alllll down. I couldn't help it. I would jot it down and snap closed my spiral notebook so no one could see. When I hung up my secret eavesdropping career I sealed the notebook in a box along with my first, and very rough draft, of a stupid screenplay i once wrote. Sounds so corny right? Screen play? what is this Hollywood? Anyway....this weekend, when I was alone wandering through different places I overheard some hilarious conversations and it brought back all those funny eavesdropping moments. So I thought I'd share what i heard with you...you my special readers.

Little girl, probably 5 or under - "Mom, all this shopping is making me have to PEE!" The mom goes, "It is?"

Little girl, probably 12ish - "Dad, can we get this couch," she says sitting on this futon thing at Target, "I really like it." The Dad sits down and in a strong countryman accent says, "You want thishere couch?This ain't even comfortable. This is like sittin on a stack a rocks. You want me to just get you a stack a rocks?"

I'm at the airport and this girl walks straight up to me. Doesn't say anything...just makes a b line straight towards me. I'm thinkin' to myself. Do I know her? Is she gonna ask for change? Does she think I'm her mom. Nope. She stands right in front of me and looks at me and then looks at the seat next to me where my cup is sitting. And then looks at me again. I move the cup and she sits down. "Thanks," she mutters while taking up my armrest. What a PRINCESS! kids ar hilarious.

These two little black boys in front of me at the airport are narrating the journey of one very sweet, very confused Asian man...
The Asian man walks by, and stops to ask an airport attendant a question.
Boy 1 says "Hi, I here for the plane..."
Boy 2 giggles.
The Asian man looks concerned and runs past us.
Boy 2 says, "Ah, I'm late for my plane!"
Asian man runs back past us...again
Boy 1 says, "Ahhh Which way is my plane?!?!?!"
Boy 2 giggles... "My plane, My plane!!! Where is my plane!"
Asian man runs past us again...
Boy1 says "Is this way to my plane!?!"
Asian guy stops and points at a sign trying to read it...
Boy 2 Giggles... "no, this way my plane!"

I couldn't help laughing, especially when their mom heard what they were doing and gave them that "I will beat you child" look.

I sat there at the airport thinking..."you know I bet this is the only place in Georgia where you can sit on a bench and hear two different languages being spoken on either side of you, neither of them recongnizable to the other...at any given time during the day."

Ah well I thought i had more funny stories...but that's all i can remember. Just beware...if there are funny things to be heard I will probably be there lurking in the shadows...jotting it down. ha.

Random note: I HATE the airport! I guess its because I hate flying... oh, and I feel like being in an airport is a threat to my security... and health. I felt like swine flu was creepying onto my shoulder from the dirty looking guy standing in line next to me at the Wendy's. And So what I'm the 25 year-old clutching my teddy bear on a 2hour flight. I HATE FLYING. And as for the security thing... Hartsfield-Jackson is one of the biggest airports in the U.S. so bam, easy target, right? It freaks me out. I also hate parking decks. They're just creepy...and dirty, and cold, and sometimes feel kinda bendy underneath my car tires. (I'm normal, right? to be scared of like EVERYTHING? I try to keep a positive attitude about things - clearly)

So the worst of the worst things happened yesterday...(ok, so I'm being a little dramatic) My sister's flight was delayed ...so I was stuck waiting for her at the airport aka SECURITY THREAT for TWO HOURS! I was freaked out... just a little bit. I had two options... option1: wait out in the creepy parking garage or option 2: sit inside the creepy airport and stare accusingly at everyone that walked by. I chose option 2. I wandered around a lot while waiting for her. I think it was a healing experience. It allowed me to bond with the airport...and my anxiety subsided. I did freak a little bit when some guy walked up to me and said some type of code word to me. When I looked at him like he was crazy...he goes "NO? Ok..." and walked away. Then I realized what sounded like a weird "code word" to me, could have very well been a foreign name of someone he was looking for. Or he could have very well been a crack dealer. Only the cosmos really know now because just as quickly he appeared to me, he disappeared and I didn't have time to analyze his crack dealing potential. The airport is a mysterious place.

All in all it was a good experience. The airport's not so scary to me anymore...not like I wanna live there or anything but hopefully now I can walk through the entrance without having a panic attack.

1 comment:

  1. Ah hahaha I love the kids convo in the airport. Those little brats, remind me of me. You need to bring out that old notebook and tell us some stories from it!

    ReplyDelete